In April 2003, the UNAIDS partners agreed to work towards achieviing an important goal: to improve learning opportunities for UN staff members on HIV/AIDS. We must ensure that all of us in the UN:
- are able to make informed decisions to protect ourselves from HIV
- know where to turn for the best possible care and treatment if we are infected or affected by HIV
- fully understand the UN's HIV/AIDS workplace policies and how they are implemented.
Understanding the UN's HIV/AIDS workplace policies also means that we work to ensure that all of us in the UN experience a supportive and compassionate work environment free of fear and discrimination against those among us who are infected and affected by HIV/AIDS and those of us who seek information about HIV/AIDS.
This website is one of the tools to help UN staff members learn about HIV and AIDS. As Secretary General, Kofi Annan, has stated in September 2002:
In this website, you'll have easy access to:
- The basics about HIV and AIDS
- UN workplace policies and our workplace environment
- Your personal life
- Living positively with HIV and AIDS
- Other issues relating to HIV and AIDS
- International and regional awareness
- Fact Sheets
We've included information and links from inside and outside the UN, on-line exercises, a site where you can ask questions and share experiences. If you have suggestions for how we can make this site even better, please let us know!